Friday, November 19, 2010

Gavin Jennings explains

I was present at Melbourne Town Hall last night (18/11) when the Minister for Climate Change, Gavin Jennings, explained why Victoria was locked into the provision of low cost timber to Australian Paper, resulting in the subsidized destruction of Victoria’s native forests.

It was, he explained, because the cost of varying the legislated commitment to Australian Paper, before the termination date of 2027, would burden future Victorians with substantial litigation and compensation costs. I wonder if he has calculated the current and future monetary, lifestyle and environmental costs to Victorian taxpayers of persisting with this course of action.

He also suggested that environmental concerns should be viewed as humanitarian concerns. I already view environmental concerns as humanitarian concerns, and that is why I will be voting for my grandchildren next Saturday.

No comments: