Wednesday, August 27, 2008

More online books

Well I added another book to the library thing, trying to select some of the more obscure titles in my collection, and discovered that it was far more exciting to discover others enjoying my favorites than it was to be the only one listing a particular title, especially when I discovered more exciting titles by the same author. And then of course checking their lists, realizing they were reading the same books, and wondering if I knew them :)
Today I discovered Google Books, while following some research links. In particular "The Discovery and Settlement of Port Phillip; being a history of the country now called Victoria ... up to 1836" by James Bontwick. This title is complete and searchable! Who knows what other full text titles are available on this site...
This evening's session is on Second Life - my last excursion in this course. I'm so apprehensive - I can't imagine what I'm going to find there, and how I'm going to find anything there.
I'm really excited about joining the NING though. Sadly it is blocked at work and I'll have to do something about that before I can utilize it properly as I feel that it will be a great meeting point at a time when librarians and especially TLs need to get together to promote ourselves in schools and in the wider community. When I first began the GDIM, my sister said, What's information management? Is that just a fancy name for librarian? And what do librarians do anyway - read books?!
The real joke is that I wanted out of IT because I'd had enough of learning new software - little did I know! ;)


No comments: